Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Night Out

I was so lucky to get a chance to have dinner with my sister last night.  It was great to have special one-on-one time with her.  We had a fantastic walk and a delicious meal at a cute restaurant.  The whole evening was refreshing!

So, what did hubby and the kids do for dinner?  I made them a super easy meal before I left.  This is a perfect, quick idea for days when there isn't a lot of time for meal preparation.  I call them "meat roll-ups."

Meat Roll-Ups:

Soft shell taco shells (I use whole wheat low fat)
Flavored cream cheese (I used Philadelphia, but you can use your favorite, or make your own!)
Shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but you can use your family's favorite)
Mixed greens (sometimes I use spinach - I buy a bag of either a salad mix or the spinach)
Lunchmeat - I used Hormel Natural roast turkey


First, spread the taco shell with cream cheese, with about an inch to spare around the edge:




Sprinkle a pinch of the shredded cheese on top of the cream cheese covered shell:



Place some mixed greens on top of the cheeses:



Place two slices of lunchmeat on top of the lettuce:



Now it is time to roll everything together!  Try to make it as tight as possible without ripping the shell.  It can be a little tricky at first.  When I am finished rolling, I slice the roll-up in half.  You do not have to do this, but sometimes my kids don't want a full roll-up, and I think half can be pretty filling.  Here is the finished product:



I lined up all of the halves in a 9x13 pan, covered them and popped them in the fridge!  When everyone was home (briefly), they had a yummy, quick dinner!

Do you see my two previous food posts?  The ones that featured the soup and the applesauce?  Yep, they ate leftover tomato soup with the roll-ups, and I made applesauce in the crockpot.  A meal with all of the food groups!

You could make these roll-ups with a variety of ingredients.  Let me know what your ideas are in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention - you could make this a vegetarian meal, and gluten free with gluten free shells.

    ReplyDelete